zondag 13 maart 2016

A weekend of shaolin culture with Shi Yan Ti

Amituofo!

This weekend I joined a 2 day seminar at Shaolin centrum Haarlem from Shi Yan Ti, who came from shaolin temple to teach about shaolin culture.

Both on Saterday and Sunday the day started with an introduction to the Buddhist rituals that are being done in the temple, chanting sutra's. Shi Yan Ti kept it short here. In the temple this goes on for hours and starts early in the morning. After that we started with qi gong. We learned a set of movements from XiSuiJin.
I have to admit that this was pretty hard for the body. All movements only use arms, leg movements are in more advanced sets. But this means you stand in a fairly static position for 2,5 hours while practising. This really is a burden for the lower back.

Luckily after qi gong we had a long break, and in the afternoon we did 3 hours kung fu practise where we learned Luohan shi ba shou. Also before kung fu practise the session was started with chanting.

Before we started on practising form we practised ji ben gong (basics) for a bit. It is always amazing to see the difference with chinese style of practise and western style of practice.... let's say that in chinese style power is much more explosive and movements are far more intense.

After kung fu everyone went home. I went for a nice indian curry and then went back to the trainig hall because it was also my hotel for the evening. In the evening I repeated the kung fu and qi gong form, did some sword practice, did the dishes, and massaged my legs a bit and went to bed early.

On Sunday we did roughly the same training session, and all training sessions were a bit more intense. But that might also be because the day already started with sore muscles :P

Nice side-story is that I finally met some people from Shaolin Kung Fu Tiel, who also joined the seminar. I wanted to meet people from that school for a while now but I lost track of them when I quit facebook... maybe I should get back to facebook to maintain some Shaolin contacts :P

After all of this I picked up my girl at schiphol, she went for a weekend of karate in Norway :)

Anyway, this was a great weekend! Tomorrow will be resting day. My body needs to recover.

Amituofo!


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Leave a reaction! (be polite please)