vrijdag 22 mei 2015

22nd of May : Friday injury day

Todays stats: 
  • Weight: 78.1KG 
  • Heart-rate: not measured
  • Location 1: Goffert park
  • Duration 1: 1h
  • Intensity 1: Low
  • Location 2: Malden Gym
  • Duration 2: 1.5h
  • Intensity 2: Moderate
Amituofo! Today I felt super, but that turned out not a good thing unfortunately. Yesterday evening I started to feel a 'click' or 'pop' each time I turned my knee. Must be related to a snap-kick I did yesterday. I missed my hand (We kick our hand to give some resistance in the kick and harden your hand at the same time), and since I had weights on my ankles I am afraid I overextended my knee :(

Since there was no pain involved I didn't suspect it to be to bad.Today however the 'pop' went over in a stiff knee. In the lunch break I still did a nice Qi gong and stretching session in the hope a bit of stretching would help.
Little explanation why: I experience that when your joints are overloaded stretching is a good way to relieve pain.  I guess (I am not a physiotherapist, just some logic reasoning here)
this is since irritated joints tend to swell and stretching and keeping your muscles warm helps to create a little more space in the joint. If the muscles in the joints get cold and crimp the room in the joint is less while the joint itself is swelling, that causes pressure and expresses itself as pain.
And indeed my knee felt good after the Qi gong session. It still 'popped' though.
In the evening we did Shaolin kung fu training. I told Carl I would take it easy.  (Of course everything not loading my knees I still did on maximum power and speed :) )
I skipped the knee twisting exercises during the warm up and Ji Ben Gong. The remaining exercises went just fine. Then we did Tao lu (forms), this also went fine and I did take it easy during Wu bu quan and Tong bei quan. Then we started Xiao hong quan. And after a couple runs, I felt good and I thought, well, lets try it at a descent speed and with normal power.

Shouldn't have done that. I felled a harder 'pop' and a sharp pain in my knee. It stopped popping afterwards, but now it did hurt. The last 15 minutes I took it easy and helped some junior student practice Yin Shou Gun...

My knee is all stiff now, and it hurts bad. From my experience I can tell this will be a bad night, and it will be even worse tomorrow morning, when all my muscles are cold again. Hope I can still join the Tai Chi class tomorrow :(

I guess today was a bad day for martial artist in our region, since also Sam suffered form lower back injury and Wietze, one of our fellow students who also trains really hard in Muay Thai, seemed also not to be having a good day. May be the shape of the moon is not suited for martial arts training today :P

Still I would like to say: Sleep well and have a good evening.
More news tomorrow.



PS. lots of kids in the park today. Kids=noise="no picture of bunnies", better luck next week.
Amituofo!